TODD SUCHERMAN MASTERCLASS
Todd Sucherman Masterclass
at Badges Drum Shop
CLASS FULL - Sign up here to be on the list of alternates!
What: TODD SUCHERMAN MASTERCLASS at Badges Drum Shop
When: Tuesday, April 28, 2020, 6:30 pm - 9:30 pm
TEMPORARILY POSTPONED until later in 2020 due to Coronavirus concerns. More info coming soon!
Where: 117 West Main Street, Mason, OH 45040
Cost: $200 (financing available)
Capacity: 20 maximum (will accept 2 alternates after class is full)
Take part in a 3-hour intimate and interactive masterclass with Todd Sucherman, one of the most in-demand drummers on the planet and best-known for his role with the legendary rock band Styx.
This is not a clinic but a time of hands-on, personalized instruction. Two complete kits will be set up and the class size purposefully small. Todd will individually help attendees with grip, physicality at the kit, and certain psychological aspects that can help you be better and more comfortable player.
Limited to 20 participants, first-come-first-served. All skill levels welcome.
Click here to reserve your spot.
Location and Parking
* * *
ABOUT TODD SUCHERMAN
"Todd Sucherman is one of the most in-demand drummers on the planet. In addition to a 20+ year tenure with the legendary rock band Styx, Sucherman is a leading clinician and session artist.
In 2018, the readers of Modern Drummer magazine named him “#1 Progressive Rock Drummer” plus”#1 Recorded Performance” for “The Mission” (Styx). His Methods and Mechanics instructional DVD series has won multiple awards.
2015 saw Todd Sucherman win the Modern Drummer Readers Poll for #1 Progressive Rock Drummer as well as #1 Clinician in DRUM! Magazine all the while touring the world with the multi platinum rock band Styx. His “Methods and Mechanics” instructional DVD series has won multiple awards, and he remains an in demand drummer for recording sessions, clinics and drum festivals all over the world. But the musical history began basically at birth.
Todd Sucherman grew up in a musical family. His father, Arnold J. Sucherman was a doctor by day, and a big band drummer by night. He was the house drummer at the famed Chez Parre’ in Chicago through the 1940s and 50’s. During that time he worked with Lena Horne, Sammy Davis Jr., Sophie Tucker, Joe E. Lewis, Jack Benny and countless others. While on the road, at a gig in New Orleans, Arnold met a young actress, Jo Seiwert, who was performing together in the same variety show. They were married and soon formed a family of their own.
Paul was first (keyboards), then Joel (bass), then Todd (drums). Todd was fascinated with the drums as an infant. His father taught him to play and could read music by age five. His first paying gig was with his brothers, “The Sucherman Brothers” at age six. They continued to play together and with other musicians for years.
Todd kept up with his musical studies through school and attended Berklee College of Music for one year. There he studied privately with Gary Chaffee, a world renowned educator with former students the likes of Steve Smith and Vinnie Colaiuta.
In 1988, Todd returned to Chicago and quickly established himself as a first call musician in the recording scene. As an in demand player for live and session work, this led to his association with the band Styx. Todd was called in to record when Styx’s John Panozzo was ill. After John Panozzo’s untimely death, Todd’s position in the band was solidified. Thirteen years later Styx continues to play to millions of fans all over the world averaging 100 dates a year. Todd has recorded several albums with the band including “Big Bang Theory” which put the band in the top 50 on Billboard for the fourth straight decade. In-between his time with Styx he’s recorded over 1000 radio and TV spots and worked with artists diverse as Peter Cetera, Brian Culbertson, Spinal Tap, Michael Bolton, The Falling Wallendas, Eric Marienthal, and Brian Wilson (including his 2003 release with Paul McCartney, Eric Clapton and Elton John.) Todd has been an in demand clinician performing at drum festivals around the world.
In 2007 he produced and played on the debut from Taylor Mills, “Lullagoodbye” which featured appearance from Brian Wilson and Tommy Shaw.
After years of touring and recording, Sucherman began work on his much anticipated instructional DVD release “Methods and Mechanics” available from the store atToddsucherman.com, In this presentation that Modern Drummer magazine called “a stunning achievement” and “one of the most stunning looking and sounding DVDs ever”, Sucherman brings the knowledge of thousands of gigs, shows and recording sessions along with over three decades as a professional drummer to this useful and unique DVD package. Astonishing technique, power and musicality explode from the various musical and solo performances throughout this presentation. Working with artists over a myriad of genres diverse as Styx, Brian Wilson, Spinal Tap, Eric Marienthal, Peter Cetera, John Wetton, Steve Cole, The Falling Wallendas and countless more, there’s a wealth of knowledge imparted that goes way beyond just the technical aspects of drumming. Methods and Mechanics is filled with practical career tips that will help you navigate through the music business as well as mental aspects and cerebral approaches to the art of playing music on the drums. Filmed in 16X9 in High Definition at a stunning location this DVD features music from Styx, Taylor Mills and Jerry Goodman and contains various solos and playing examples in an array of styles as well as technical lessons to enhance your rhythmic and musical vocabulary.
Sucherman won the Modern Drummer Magazine Reader’s poll for #1 Educational DVD as well as #1 Rock Drummer for 2009, as well as #1 Clinician in DRUM!
2011 saw the release of the “Methods and Mechanics” companion/Transcription book as well as the much anticipated DVD sequel, “Methods and Mechanics II” which has just won “Best in Show” at the 2012 NAMM show in Anaheim, California. “Methods and Mechanics II” also won best educational DVD in DRUM! Magazine reader’s poll in 2012.
Todd continues to tour with STYX and record with various artists. He is also an in demand clinician and educator world wide.
Todd has appeared on records released or unreleased with:
- Brian Wilson (Imagination) (Brian Wilson On Tour DVD) (Gettin’ In Over My Head – along with Paul SticksInTheAirMcCartney, Eric Clapton & Elton John) (That Lucky Old Sun CD and live DVD) (Wilson Reimagines Gershwin)
- Styx (The Mission, Greatest Hits 1&2, Return To Paradise, Brave New World, Arch Allies, Cyclorama, Styxworld Live, Big Bang Theory, 21st Century Live, One With Everything with the CYO, Regeneration Vol 1&2, Grand Illusion/Pieces of Eight Live))
- Tommy Shaw (Seven Deadly Zens)
- Peter Cetera (One Clear Voice)
- Brian Culbertson (After Hours, Secrets, Somethin’ Bout Love, Come On Up)
- Steve Cole (Stay Awhile, Spin)
- The Falling Wallendas (The Falling Wallendas, Belittle)
- Bob Mamet (Night and Day)
- Henry Kapono (Spirit Dancer, Hits)
- Adrian Galysh (Tone Poet)
- Wade Hubbard (Insanity Lane)
- Taylor Mills (Lullagoodbye, Under the Surface)
- Harry Shearer (Can’t Take a Hint)
- Neil Zaza (Peach, Live From the Kent Stage)
- Greg Ridley (Anthology)
- Michael Bolton (Only A Woman Like You)
- Morty Shallman (Love’s Oblivion)
- Vinnie Zumo (Swinging Guitar Sounds of Young America vol.3)
- Lee Nysted (One Word)
- Billy Ocean, R Kelly, Survivor, Jim Peterik, John Wetton, Joe Lynn Turner, Fareed Haque,
- Rochelle, Steve Kolander, Nicholas Markos, Tim Cunningham, Jim Brickman, Danny Kravitz, Into the Green, Bill Dickens, Kane Robberts, and others.
- Styx, Brian Wilson, Eric Marienthal, Spinal Tap, Lawrence Gowan, Brian Culbertson, Neil Zaza, Steve Cole, Bobby Enriquez, David Hasselhoff, Dave Uhrich, Falling Wallendas, Bob Mamet, Darryl Jones, Sandy Torano, Bill Dickens, Fareed Haque, Peter White, Rick Braun, Michael McDermott,
- Josie Aiello, Lionel Cole.
- Various drum clinics and festivals including Cape Breton Drum Fest, Montreal Drum Fest, Adams Drum Festival, La Rioja Drum Festival, Rome’s Batterika Festival, PASIC ’06 and ’12, and the Modern Drummer Festival 2008.
- Film and Television-Radio spots:
- Orange County (Soundtrack)
- The Negotiator (trailer)
- If These Walls Could Talk 2 (HBO)
- Twice upon a Time (Lifetime)
- Jingles–over a thousand spots, the likes of McDonald’s, Budweiser, Honda,
- Pepsi, Reebok, Miller, Nabisco, and more"